Manual painting of surfaces is performed quite rarely, for such purposes, spray guns are used. With the help of the device, you can paint a car or treat a plant from pests. Such devices are used for painting walls and wooden surfaces. In order to choose the right device, you need to study the rating of popular models for 2021.
An electric spray gun is a device for painting a surface by spraying a coloring substance. The paint is released from the device under the pressure of the built-in pump.
- Application of electric spray guns
- Types of electric spray guns
- What to pay attention to when choosing a spray gun
- Advantages of electrical devices
- Operating principle
- Electrostatic painting
- Tips for choosing a spray gun
- Additional options
- Use and care
There are many different modifications of electric spray guns on the market, which differ from each other not only in technical parameters but also in cost. In this article, we will review the main technical nuances of electrical devices, knowledge of which will help you choose the most suitable version of the spray gun.
Application of electric spray guns
In order to understand which spray gun to choose for home use, you need to decide on the purpose of using the tool.
For painting the house
Very often, spray guns are used to save time. Such a device allows you to evenly paint the walls, while not expending physical effort. This method can be used for large areas and replaces manual labor. You can use the device to paint walls, ceilings, small objects, and gates.
For painting the car
Powerful electric spray guns are used to paint the car. Since the paint layer should be uniform. For cars, devices with a small nozzle diameter are used.
Attention! Special car models are designed for liquid paint, which is evenly distributed over the metal surface.
Types of electric spray guns
Electric spray guns are the most popular. Since they allow you to evenly distribute the paint over the surface. Electric models are divided into the following types:
- The device works after connecting to the compressor. The paint is sprayed under the influence of air, as a result of which the coloring is uniform.
- The paint is sprayed using a high-pressure pump. It is often used for spraying viscous materials.
- Hand-held spray guns. Externally, the design has the appearance of an electric motor and a spray gun with a painted barrel. All components are connected by an air hose, through which air enters. This type of spray gun is very popular and can be used for painting surfaces of different types.
- Paint stations. Such devices are professional devices. They consist of a pistol, a powerful engine, and an air pump. They allow you to paint large areas in a short time and are most often used in production.
The electric spray gun, which is better, is determined by each user individually. For painting walls and ceilings, manual models are often chosen. Such devices are affordable and easy to use.
What to pay attention to when choosing a spray gun
When choosing a spray gun for painting walls and ceilings, you need to know which one is better. In order to choose a suitable device, you need to consider some criteria.
When choosing a spray gun for home use, it is recommended to give preference to electric and pneumatic types. Such devices quickly cope with the tasks and give a good result.
Type of power supply
Spray guns can be divided into network and battery. Network networks have a lot of power. However, battery models can be used offline.
In order for the device to cope well with the tasks set, the power should be 1.3-1.9 kW. Such indicators are enough to evenly cover the surface with paint.
The pump can be airless or airless. The most commonly used types of air pumps are. Such installations easily cope with the tasks set.
Attention! The airless type of pump is most often used for painting walls with viscous substances.
The size of the tank depends on the area that is being processed. The most common models have tanks with a volume of 2-2. 5 liters. Such indicators allow you to comfortably paint the surface without physical effort. Containers with a volume of more than 3 liters are most often used for painting stations.
Advantages of electrical devices
Electric models have a number of advantages:
- Mobility: The spray gun can be moved around the construction site, and there is no need for a heavy-duty compressor or air pump — it is enough to have access to electricity.
- The simplicity of application and design: The devices intended for household use are characterized by a simple design, which even a non-specialist can understand.
- Lightweight and small size: Although the spray guns are small in size, up to a liter of paint and varnish composition can be placed in the tank. Together with the tank, the total weight of the paint sprayer can be from 1.5 to 2.2 kilograms. Due to the low weight, comfort is achieved in the work, since the hands will not be too tired.
- The economy of paint consumption: A moderately thin layer of material is applied to the surface, which distinguishes the spray guns from the rollers and brushes.
- The low cost of the device: In comparison with pneumatic models, electric ones cost much less.
“Please note! Electric modifications are not suitable for painting cars with liquid rubber.”
The electric spray gun functions by converting electricity into pneumatic energy. The paint under the influence of increased pressure is directed from the tank to the sprayer, which distributes it over the surface.
The container for paint and varnish composition is located either above the device (drain) or under it (suction). As a result of pressing the lever, the airbrush passes through compressed air. If you press harder, the needle will shift, and the flow of paint will be reduced. In other words, the higher the air pressure, the less intense the paint material leaves the sprayer.
For different paint consistencies, there are separate types of paint sprayers. For example, for thick paints, devices with a larger outlet opening are used than for liquid paints. The volume of paint intake is controlled by the so-called spray torch. The working pressure indicator also depends on the type of paint material. The air supply is regulated by a special screw.
Any spray gun is equipped with a so-called gun. This device, using a nozzle, forms a flare as a result of mixing the following components:
- High-pressure air, which is supplied from the compressor
- The working composition (varnish, primer or paint) corresponding to the permissible viscosity parameters.
In the inner part of the gun, the air is divided into two streams, one of which is directed along the center, and the second – along the periphery. All electro pulverizers are equipped with three controllers that allow you to set the required operating mode:
- Adjusting the total air supply makes it possible to maintain a balance between the volume of the paint supply and its form of application at a certain speed. If the expected paint consumption is low, the tap is covered. After that, the feed rate will decrease, and the paint will be sprayed more accurately.
- The pressure on the side jets at the periphery is controlled by a separate screw. The airflow determines the shape of the paint material jet: the stronger the air supply, the wider the perimeter. If you stop the pressure on the side jets, the feed shape will become rounded. However, this is an extreme option, because in this case, the hiding power of the paint will greatly increase, which will lead to streaks.
- The consumption of paint and varnish material is determined by the volume of air supplied in the center of the electric spray gun. To make the feed less plentiful, you should cover the tap a little.
The taps can be located in different places, depending on the modification of the device, but two schemes are most common:
- The paint supply adjustment tap is located on the side of the gun. A little lower is the tap of the general air supply.
- The general air supply tap is located at the end of the handle, near the inlet pipe. The tap that regulates the width of the jet is located in the same place as in the first case-on the sidewall of the gun.
Containers for paint can be not only of different sizes but also often installed in different places. They usually take their place in the area of the front part of the barrel, which allows you to improve the suction parameter. There are two ways of applying paint and varnish material:
- By gravity. In this case, the composition rushes down under the pressure of its mass. It is difficult to control the flow rate in this case, since it depends entirely on the diameter of the outlet from the container.
- The use of the dilution effect is more common. With this effect, a rapidly moving air-jet forms a negative pressure under the paint tank, as a result of which the composition is sucked in.
“Please note! The main difference between an electric spray gun and a pneumatic one is the presence of a built-in compressor. The advantage of such a device is that it is impossible to overload the compressor.”
We should also mention the electrostatic method of painting the surface. In the process of operation, the paint and varnish composition, when in contact with the electrode installed in the sprayer, receives a negative discharge (up to 100 kW). After the paint is sprayed, its particles flow through the force field exclusively to the painted structure. The advantages of the technology are obvious: reduced paint consumption and more accurate spraying.
Tips for choosing a spray gun
Before choosing an electric spray gun in the store, it is recommended to determine the following parameters:
- The width of the torch: One of the factors when choosing a spray gun is the size of the area to be painted. If the jet is thin, it will take a long time to work. If the torch is wide, the consumption of paint and varnish composition may be too large.
- The size of the nozzle: For coatings of the “metallic” type, a size of 1.2-1.3 millimeters is recommended, for acrylic compositions and varnish — 1.4-1.5 millimeters, for primers-1.5-1.7 millimeters, for putties-1.7 millimeters or more. Replacement sets of nozzles with a wide variety of sizes are available for sale.
- Cover the nozzle: It is recommended to choose stainless steel covers.
- The material of the tank: A metal tank is easier to clean after finishing work, but such tanks are opaque, and therefore control over the consumption of material is complicated. The plastic tank is characterized by the opposite qualities.
- The material from which the case is made: The best option is high—quality plastic. It is light and durable.
- The location of the tank installation: The upper position of the container is preferable, as this will simplify the work with viscous compositions.
- The ability to regulate the process: Most of the devices have the minimum required number of adjustments. First of all, we are talking about controlling the consumption of paint. However, modern devices are equipped with operating pressure adjustments, electronic control of the paint composition flow rate, different spray options, etc.
- The ability to function independently: Individual modifications can work without a battery so that it is possible to work even where there is no access to the electrical network.
In order for the device to cope with all the tasks, you must also pay attention to the following criteria:
- Nozzle parameters. This criterion depends on the viscosity of the material.
- Nozzle cover. In order for the device to serve for a long period, the cover on the nozzle must be made of metal.
- Tank material. Metal barrels are less likely to be damaged and are easily washed off from paint. However, it is difficult to adjust the paint level in them. Plastic ones are cheaper, but they don’t wash well.
- The ability to adjust the supply of paint. This parameter allows you to increase the paint layer in the right place. However, such models have a high cost.
- Also, when choosing a spray gun, you need to pay attention to the location of the tank. The tank can be located at the top or bottom.
Use and care
First of all, you need to understand the type of paint that will be refilled with a spray gun. Simply pour the composition from the jar can not be, as the device simply can not cope with its spray. You need paint of a certain viscosity, which can only be obtained by dilution. To facilitate this task, almost all modifications are equipped with a special bowl, thanks to which you can set the density of the composition, based on the speed of its flow.
The next important nuance is the choice of the nozzle. Usually, spray guns are equipped with several types of nozzles. The spray quality directly depends on the selected nozzle. The more viscous the composition, the larger the nozzle size is required. For alkyd mixtures and nitroemals, you will need a nozzle with a hole of 0.6 mm, but for alkyd dispersions, you need a nozzle with a hole of 0.8 mm.
When applying paint, you should pay attention to the following circumstances:
- The normal distance from the spray nozzle to the surface is 10-15 centimeters. Too close to the nozzle will cause drips, and too far away will cause the paint to evaporate.
- The nature of the movements should be uniform, without jerks. Also, the uniformity of coloring is affected by the speed of surface treatment. The paint is applied from side to side and downwards. If you move up, drips are inevitable.
- When painting, the jet should be directed exclusively perpendicular to the surface to be treated.
At the end of the work, the paint sprayer must be cleaned without fail from the remnants of the paint composition. To clean the device, you need to remove the paint tank and drain the remaining dye from it. Next, pour the solvent into the container.
For a couple of minutes, the liquid in the tank is shaken, after which it is drained into waste. Next, you need to pour the solvent back into the container and spray it with a spray gun. This is necessary to clean the internal channels of the device. Especially carefully clean the nozzle — it is recommended to wipe it with a sponge soaked in solvent.
The electro pulverizer is an excellent solution for household purposes, but it is not suitable for professional surface painting. Pneumatic devices are characterized by better spray paint materials, which directly affect the result of the work.
It is also worth noting that electric sprayers are characterized by low power and are designed primarily for working with water-based paints. Therefore, before buying an electric spray gun, you should decide on the tasks for which it will be used.