We may not see what is hidden behind the fence, but the fence itself is always in our sight. Not everyone will be able to work carefully with a brush and produce a perfect coloring, and the final work of the spray gun always looks perfect.
How to prepare a fence for painting
The beauty and aesthetics of any fence depend on the specialists who installed it, the materials used and the shape.
But constant care and good coloring will help the fence to fit even better into the exterior and attract the admiring glances of friends and neighbors.
Unfortunately, ordinary paint applied over an unprepared surface eventually loses its color and flakes off.
Therefore, each owner is looking for a way to paint as little as possible, but at the same time expects a long service life of the paint.
The article explains how to paint wooden and metal fences, what colors are suitable for them, and what equipment should be chosen.
Preparation of the fence surface
- The concrete or wood surface must be smooth. This condition is necessary both when updating the old layer of paint on the surface of the fence, and when applying it to the newly erected fence. To do this, you need to clean the entire surface, after which there will be no problems with laying the paint.
- If your fence is not new and needs cleaning from paint residues, then use a small scraper, and everything else can be washed off with a sponge and water with detergent;
- Further preparation consists of leveling the surface by grinding. This applies to all types of fences, regardless of condition and service life.
- It is carried out in the following ways:
- Dirt and rough surface is rubbed with sandpaper;
- If there are shallow cracks or potholes, use a primer that can even out such damage. When it is frozen, then putty should be carried out, this will improve the appearance and help to apply the next layer of paint;
- If you want to paint a wooden fence, then after the putty, you should once again treat the fence with sandpaper.
- To achieve the best results in the quality and beauty of coloring, it is worth following two main conditions in this case:
- Different types of primers have different compatibility with paint. It is necessary to select these two components before the work is carried out. In addition, not every paint can be used in a spray gun;
- If it is necessary to use a primer, then it should be done in exceptionally dry weather.
Compliance with this condition is caused by the fact that the primer hardens for a long time.
Direct sunlight on this material is also not recommended and leads to a deterioration in the quality of the coating.
Choosing the right paint
In specialized stores, there is a huge selection of paint by color and structure, composition and properties, which allows you to make a purchase to your taste and color, and use such modern tools as a spray gun and a sprayer.
There are only two types of paint, which is suitable for both wooden fences and partially for concrete ones:
- Paint that helps to produce not only a color change, but also to smooth out cracks and irregularities that could not be eliminated with the help of conventional putty, is called covering. For greater efficiency, it should be applied in more than one layer.
- If your fence already has a pleasant color for you, then the best approach is to use a coating paint. It leaves the standard color and affects only the shade.
Types of paint
Oil paint is a good option for painting a wooden fence.
It consists of various fats and oils that perfectly resist the negative effects of direct sunlight. Thanks to such features, this type of paint have been used for decades and does not require updating even after two or three years.
Another type of reliable and affordable paint is acrylic. Their service life is more than five years, which in the future makes them the most economical.
A special feature of acrylic paint is the possibility of using a spray gun, which facilitates the work several times.
In addition, the painted surface with acrylic does not need to completely replace the layer with partial peeling.
Simply spray a layer of paint on the damaged area.
Enamel is a reliable and beautiful, but the most expensive type of paint products.
The advantage is a long service life that does not require partial or complete updates. To apply paint, you can use all available means, from a brush to a spray gun.
It is worth considering the small resistance to sudden temperature changes. In a variable climate, cracks may occur, which should be timely masked and painted over.
Another type of material for painting is transparent varnish. It is especially relevant now, as today the natural colors and the natural appearance of the exterior are popular.
A positive feature of the varnish is its high resistance to the negative effects of the sun and water so that your fence will be protected and will be able to maintain a beautiful appearance for many years.
The varnish is applied using a spray gun or spray gun.
Painting the fence with your own hands
- Protective gloves made of rubber or similar material; gloves for painting the fence
- Different sizes of brushes, with which you can paint hard-to-reach areas;
- Spray gun;
- Detergent, water, and any clean cloth;
- For cleaning — broom and dustpan;
- The paint itself.
If you follow all the instructions and tips, the work will be easy, and even a child will cope with it.
Nuances and subtleties of painting work
- Before starting work, the tree must be treated with an antiseptic. This will protect the wood coverings from bacteria that can contribute to the damage of this material;
- With the help of drying oil impregnation, you can increase the service life of the fence much longer than without it;
- When painting the fence, you should move from top to bottom, which will help avoid drips. This is also true for painting a concrete fence;
- When working with wood, you should use brushes that will provide a better and more reliable coating of each fence board. If you need to reduce the time spent painting, use a wide brush that can capture several boards at the same time;
- When painting the lower part of the fence with a brush, put a board that will help to avoid getting dirt on the fresh paint;
- All work should be carried out on days with a low temperature, preferably without direct sunlight.
How to diversify the painting process?
The very work of painting the barrier can be facilitated by using different methods and tools.
So, with the help of a spray gun, the whole process is easy and relaxed, does not require special skills, and helps to save paint. If you use the brush as the main tool, then everyone can use it, even a child.
Children are especially interested in participating in such events, which brings joy to both themselves and their parents.
In addition, if there is no particular difference in the color and pattern on the fence, then you can give freedom to your ideas, paint a wooden fence in the form of pencils in all the colors of the rainbow.
This is a great option for fencing a common area between neighbors
How to paint a wooden fence?
First you need to choose the best paint sprayer for fence according to your project. Spray guns should be selected taking into account the material of the working surface, the composition of paints, and the scale of painting.
For working with wooden fences on a production scale, professional pneumatic versions of well-known brands with an HVLP or LVLP spray system are preferred. If you need equipment just below the professional level, you can consider an HVLP system with more affordable prices.
For domestic conditions, choose models that are cheaper and easier, they will still spray paint uniformly at an acceptable speed, but their cost is much lower than luxury ones.
For painting a home fence, you can use an electric spray gun with a reinforced compressor. But it does not always cope with thick paint, it has to be diluted.
For household painting, a manual paint sprayer is also suitable. This type of spray gun is cheaper than any other option.
Having a spray gun, you can paint the fence evenly and quickly, it will take longer to prepare it for painting. To put a wooden fence in order, you need to do the work in a certain sequence.
First, remove the layer of old paint, remove it in different ways.
- Mechanical: If the paint is cracked, you can try to remove it manually with a spatula, but it is easier to use a sander or drill, using metal brushes and petal wheels as attachments.
- Chemical: A special liquid is applied to the surface and left for an hour, then the paint, which has become pliable, is removed with a conventional spatula.
With the help of technical alcohol or solvent, the surface is degreased for better adhesion. Further, other preparatory actions are performed.
- Before painting, it is necessary to cover the fence with a primer. It will help to extend the service life of the paint layer.
- Irregularities and cracks are treated with putty.
- When the fence dries, you should rub the places of putty with sandpaper, leveling the surface.
- Then it is necessary to carry out the priming of the fence again.
“When the preparatory work is finished, paint is applied to the dry fence using a spray gun in one or several layers, depending on the density of the composition.”
Paint for metal fence
Painting a metal fence has its own nuances and difficulties.
To maintain the original appearance of the painted barrier, the paint layer must be updated and protected from rust on the damaged areas.
Therefore, before starting the work, it is advised to conduct a thorough selection of paint, taking into account the recommendations listed below.
Most modern construction stores provide a large selection of coloring agents that differ in composition, application, and properties.
There are separate options for metal fences, such as fences, balustrades, iron parts of the balcony, lanterns for lighting the garden, the roof of the house, and gutter structures.
The best option for metal is painted, which includes an organic solvent (oil, polyvinyl, alkyd, etc.), which copes well with corrosion and negative weather conditions.
You can paint the surfaces of aluminum and zinc using dispersion paints, which have different color palettes, drying time, solvent options, and the required amount.
In addition, this type of coloring agent is well suited for the concrete type of fences.
The main stages of staining
The traditional method of painting works is considered to include the following three stages:
- Treatment of the entire surface of the fence with a rust converter, which will clean it and help to preserve it in the future;
- Primer treatment;
- Staining of the surface.
Today, there are several types of universal paint that performs the functions of protecting metal from rust along with decorative paint.
Thanks to this, there is no need for preliminary work. Such paints are applied directly to the surface with minor corrosion damage and the presence of small cracks.
If it is necessary to paint small parts of iron, the best tool will be a special spray with paint.
Fence update procedure
At the beginning of the renovation work, it is necessary to prepare the surface to be painted.
Depending on the size of the fence, the preparation time varies from a few hours to two to three days.
Ideally, it is necessary to completely remove the entire rusty surface, clean the place for painting.
Next, a primer is applied, which is an auxiliary agent against corrosion, and will also improve the appearance and quality of the applied paint.
If you plan to work with an aluminum surface, you should use a special non-reactive layer of film before applying the finish paint.
Thanks to it, the oxidized iron particles bind together, and in the future, the paint will not peel off and quickly fail.
This layer is called a passivation layer.
Another good, fast and reliable way to clean the metal surface from rust is sandblasting.
Thanks to it, any heavily soiled or corroded objects can be completely cleaned of all unnecessary things.
In addition to sandblasting, there are two other types of cleaners: a solution of acid or alkaloid.
Paint preparation before use
If you want to paint the surface in several layers, you should consider the necessary intervals before applying the first and second of them.
After applying the base layer, the fence is left to dry for a day or more, which will ensure complete drying and no streaks. Before starting the painting, the paint is thoroughly mixed.
You need to pay attention to whether there are clots that are not stirred or formed when opening the jar when the surface of the liquid is covered with a film.
If so, this indicates the expiration date or incorrect conditions of the jar. In some cases, the paint for the fence is mixed with a special mixer, which ensures a uniform consistency and the right color.
If it is necessary to obtain a new color by mixing the other two, it should be done with coloring substances of the same type and before adding a solvent to them.
Necessary tools for painting
Before starting the work carried out, you should make sure that you have all the necessary tools that will ensure the safety of the work carried out for the painter, as well as help to improve the quality of the application.
List of required tools:
- Spray gun. It is worth paying attention to the fact that not every type of paint can be used with this tool.
Therefore, before buying a jar with the right color, make sure that the paint is suitable for this type of tool.
- With the help of it, the first layer of paint will be applied. In addition to it, it is necessary to have a suitable handle for the roller and a special replaceable coupling.
- This will help to improve the quality of the paint application. With the help of a roller, the concrete fence is also painted.
- This tool will be especially useful for painting posts, hard-to-reach places, and small parts.
- Ditch for paint.
Instruction on carrying out of painting the fence
First, clean the surface from rust and dirt with an anti-corrosion agent, and degrease it with a cleaning agent.
Dirt and rough surface are rubbed with sandpaper. If there are shallow cracks or potholes, it is worth using primers, thanks to which you can even out various damages.
After the primer has solidified, the putty should be applied, which will greatly improve the appearance and provide the opportunity to apply the last layer of paint.
If the metal fence has a variety of patterns, bends made of iron, and other forged decorative elements that can make it difficult to paint, then you should worry in advance about the presence of special brushes and sprayers that will help paint these areas.
With the help of a spray gun, you can adjust the paint consumption, which varies depending on the type of surface and the desired result.
Most modern fences are made with the help of non-ferrous metals, the color of which has its own characteristics.
It is not recommended to cover such surfaces with ordinary paint. For non-ferrous metal, it is necessary to use special lacquers, which are epoxy and polyurethane.
But before buying, it is best to consult with the seller in the construction store about the compatibility of the desired paint, enamel, or varnish with this type of fence.
The same applies to the concrete fence, which requires a special approach both in painting and in the elements used.
If cleaning is required before painting, it is better to use a radical, but the most effective and effective method.
The essence of this method is to use oxygen-acetylene-based burners or conventional blowtorches.
With the help of them, it is very easy to clean any metal from paint residues and rust, since they peel off under the influence of high temperature.
This effect is achieved due to the difference in the coefficient of thermal expansion of the metal and less strong elements, such as paint and rust.
In addition to this method, different liquids and acids are used, which can clean the surface from unnecessary layers.
To do this, it is enough to apply them to the surface, and then just rinse with water.
In some cases, it is almost impossible to destroy the old paint layer or clean the surface from rust, which makes further work difficult.
Then you need to use special coloring substances that have the property of protecting iron from further destruction.
Thanks to this, a double job will be performed — updating the appearance and strengthening the strength of the products. However, the purchase of such paint with large amounts of work can significantly increase the cost of repairs.
How to choose the right paint
Paint for a metal fence has different types and is applied to different surfaces, but not every one of them is universal and can also be suitable for a concrete fence.
Ideally, different metals — non-ferrous, aluminum, steel-have their own requirements and their own paint.
For ordinary metal, the best option is a water-dispersion (oil) coloring element.
Such a tool is elastic, can tolerate different loads and adverse effects, is good protection against weather conditions, which helps to avoid the harmful effects of corrosion.
In addition, this option is economical and will help reduce the cost of carrying out all the work.
If your fence or fence has already suffered from rust, then you should use an anti-corrosion agent that will provide further protection from destruction.
This is especially true for steel, ferrous metal, and cast iron.