You can paint the ceiling with a spray gun. Using a roller or brush makes it difficult to paint, takes time. To facilitate the procedure, you can use a paint sprayer. An idea of the advantages and disadvantages of such painting, types of sprayers will help when buying a tool.
PAINTING THE CEILING WITH A SPRAY GUN
For painting the ceiling surface use different tools– a roller, a brush, or a spray gun. At the same time, the result of the work looks different. Painting the ceiling with a spray gun allows you to get a high-quality, smooth and monotonous surface. The work is much faster and easier. There are several types of spray guns. They are chosen to take into account the characteristics of the aggregates, the characteristics of the coloring mixture, and the frequency of use.
We will tell you how to paint the ceiling with a spray gun, and how to make a similar device from a vacuum cleaner. The article will help you clearly understand how to paint the ceiling with water-based paint with a spray gun.
- Advantage and disadvantages of a spray gun for painting the ceiling
- Types of sprayers and selection rules
- The technology of painting the ceiling with a spray gun
3.1. Preparation of the room
3.2. Tools and materials for work
3.3. Preparation of paint for a spray gun
3.4. Technique of applying paint to the ceiling
- Is it possible to whitewash the ceiling with a spray gun?
- How to make a spray gun from a conventional vacuum cleaner?
- Possible errors and expert advice
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF A SPRAY GUN FOR PAINTING THE CEILING
Spray painting of the ceiling has a lot of advantages:
- After painting, a high-quality, plain, and smooth coating is obtained.
- The device significantly facilitates and speeds up the work in comparison with the use of a brush and a roller. As a result, labor productivity increases, your forces are saved.
- The spray gun for the ceiling provides the application of paint with the thinnest uniform layer. This saves paint and varnish materials by 40%.
- The unit allows you to paint surfaces in hard-to-reach places. It is suitable for working with raised ceilings and complex ceiling structures.
- During operation, the room remains clean, because the unit does not allow the paint to leak and drip.
- With the help of a spray gun, paints, whitewash, putty, antiseptics, primers, and water-based liquid lacquers are applied to the surface.
- There are no streaks and streaks on the resulting paint coating because no tools are touched to the surface during the coloring process. The coloring mixture is distributed in the thinnest layer due to surface tension forces.
Important! The maximum speed of applying paint with a spray gun is 400 squares per hour.
Such units do not have to be bought, they can be rented. A spray gun for painting walls and ceilings for rent will cost $ 8.3 per day. Thanks to the economical application of paint, the use of rented equipment, and carrying out work on their own, the price of painting 1 M2 of the ceiling surface is significantly reduced.
But painting ceilings with a spray gun has its disadvantages, which are also worth telling about:
- When painting ceilings of complex configuration, it is impossible to keep the device at the same distance from different surfaces. As a result, the paint falls unevenly. A roller is more suitable for working with complex multi-level ceilings.
- With the help of a spray gun, it will not be possible to paint a thin ceiling beam or a skirting board, because the coloring mixture is sprayed over a significant area and falls on neighboring surfaces.
- The smallest particles of paint that fly in the air during work get into the lungs and eyes, so you have to use protective equipment.
- The unit is not suitable for applying thick paint mixtures and unfiltered compositions, because they quickly clog the nozzle of the device.
Attention! Despite the apparent simplicity of working with a spray gun, it requires certain skills, so beginners are recommended to work with a brush and a roller.
TYPES OF SPRAY GUNS
The types of spray guns for whitewashing the ceiling or painting surfaces are quite extensive. The performance of the devices directly depends on their variety and power. The retail chain sells manual units for household use and automatic products for professional use. If you are interested in a spray gun for painting walls and ceilings, the price starts from $26.
There are the following types of spray guns:
- Pneumatic (these are professional units, so we will not consider them in detail).
Manual Spray Gun
The units of the manual type are the simplest and most inexpensive. They consist of a pump and a device, like a fishing rod. Thanks to the pump, the pressure in the tank rises and the paint is sprayed through the device.
They are often used for whitewashing rooms. Manual units are suitable for painting small areas. They apply water-based emulsion, chalk and lime whitewash, primer compositions, and means for processing plants.
Attention! The productivity of the manual spray gun is 250 m2 per hour; the working pressure is 0.6 MPa. The device is not suitable for working with putty, thick lacquers, and paints.
Electric Spray Gun
Electric units operate from the mains or battery. The kit includes an electric pump, so the device is suitable for applying water-based, oil and acrylic paint, whitewash, liquid lacquers, primers, and impregnations.
Electric spray guns are divided into air and membrane. The first of them are used to work with paint and varnish compositions of low viscosity. Such devices do not form surges when painting the relief surface, but because of the low pressure, they consume a lot of paint. Membrane spray guns are suitable for working with viscous compositions, but they give swells and unpainted areas.
Pneumatic Spray Gun
Pneumatic devices belong to the category of professional equipment. They are suitable for any paint composition. Many units operate under the influence of compressed air.
There are models with a tank located at the top and bottom. The choice of a particular device depends on the type of surface to be painted.
RULES FOR CHOOSING A SPRAY GUN
- Choose air spray guns for working with liquid paints, water-based, and painting relief surfaces.
- For painting the ceiling and wall surfaces in an ordinary apartment, a device with a power of 800 watts and a capacity of 0.8 liters per minute is enough.
- Membrane type sprayers are suitable for working with oil paints and thick lacquers.
- It is good if the device has an adjustable or replaceable stainless steel nozzle.
- For autonomous operation, choose devices with a battery.
- Units in a metal case are more durable and heavy, and plastic products are light, but they break quickly.
- The optimal size of the paint container is 0.5-1.8 liters. Metal barrels are the most durable and are better washed from the coloring mixture, and it is convenient to control the level of the solution in a device with a plastic tank.
THE TECHNOLOGY OF PAINTING THE CEILING WITH A SPRAY GUN
Professional ceiling painting with a compressor will cost$ 3 per square meter. But if you have the opportunity to buy or rent such a device, then it is not difficult to carry out all the work yourself. The article will help you clearly understand how the ceiling is painted with a spray gun. Our step-by-step instructions for painting the ceiling surface with a spray gun will also help in the work.
PREPARATION OF THE ROOM
The ceiling surface is cleaned of old finishes. Whitewash is washed off with water or soap solution. The wallpaper is wetted and after soaking, cleaned off with a spatula. The water-based emulsion is washed off, and moisture-resistant paints are removed with a special wash.
After that, the ceiling is washed and allowed to dry. With the help of putty, all holes, cracks are sealed and irregularities are eliminated.
After drying the putty composition, the surface is sanded with sandpaper. Before painting, the ceiling is treated with a deep penetration primer. The solution is applied in two layers, followed by drying each of them.
TOOLS AND MATERIALS FOR WORK
Prepare the following materials and tools for work:
- stepladder or scaffolding;
- paint tray;
- paint mixture;
- masking tape;
- spray gun;
- plastic film;
- roller and brush for painting skirting boards;
- protective glasses, respirator, and gloves.
PREPARATION OF PAINT FOR THE SPRAY GUN
Before using it in the spray gun, it is necessary to evaluate the viscosity of the paint, since too thick compositions will clog the device. If the coloring mixture is thick, then solvents are added to it. Distilled water is suitable for dissolving water-based paint. Ordinary water is not used for this, because it forms a white coating on the painted surface.
Important! Usually, to prepare for use in a spray gun, even up to 10% water or another solvent is added to new paint. If necessary, the pigments are suspended.
To dilute oil paints, white spirit, drying oil and oil-resin lacquers are used. Enamels are brought to the desired consistency by adding white spirit, xylene, solvent, solvents, or gasoline.
After that, the prepared coloring mixture is filtered through gauze, folded into several layers. This is necessary in order to get rid of small debris and lumps that can clog the nozzle of the device.
TECHNIQUE OF APPLYING PAINT TO THE CEILING
Before painting the ceiling, take out all the furniture from the room, and cover what is left and the floor with plastic wrap. Seal the unpainted surfaces with masking tape.
Painting the ceiling with a spray gun with water-based paint takes place in the following sequence:
The first layer of paint is applied in the direction perpendicular to the window opening in the room. Keep the device at a distance of 30-50 cm from the surface to be painted. Mix it at a speed of 1 m/5 sec. The paint jet should be directed perpendicular to the ceiling.
Conditionally divide the ceiling into separate sections and paint alternately. Do not stay long in one area, otherwise, streaks and drops will form.
After drying the first layer of the coloring composition, a second layer is applied. In this case, the direction is changed to mutually perpendicular (along the window openings).
Is it possible to whitewash the ceiling with a spray gun?
For whitewashing the ceiling with a spray gun, white water-based paint, lime, or chalk whitewash solution is suitable. It is important to prepare a mixture of the desired consistency and filter it well through gauze so that there are no large particles and lumps.
The process of coloring takes place in the same way as when using conventional interior paint. The only difference when working with conventional whitewash is that in case of a long break, the mixture is mixed again before use because heavy particles of chalk and lime settle to the bottom of the container.
How to make a spray gun from an ordinary vacuum cleaner?
A sprayer for whitewashing the ceiling or painting surfaces can be made with a conventional vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner with a hose with a reverse air blowing function is used as a pressure source.
You will also need a receiver to ensure a stable pressure, a pressure-reducing valve, and a container for the dye mixture.
First of all, all parts that accumulate dust or have dusty surfaces are removed from the vacuum cleaner. Be sure to remove the dust filters. Wash the remaining parts thoroughly from dust and debris and dry them.
Possible errors and expert advice
If you moved the nozzle of the device very slowly during operation or stayed for a long time in some areas, then drops form on the surface. It is recommended to collect even wet drops with a sponge and after drying the coating, apply a new thin layer.
When applying the coloring mixture with too thick a layer and the subsequent peeling of the coating, do the following:
- to begin with, it is necessary to remove the paint with a spatula;
- re-putty the surface;
- sand it with sandpaper;
- apply the primer;
- after it dries, paint again.
Irregularities, roughness, bumps, and grains on the surface appear due to poor-quality preparation of the base or the application of unfiltered paint.
To eliminate the defect, the ceiling surface is treated with sandpaper with fine grain, achieving perfect smoothness. Then the paint is filtered through several layers of gauze and the ceiling is painted again.
Thanks to the use of a spray gun, you will avoid streaks, streaks, and spots on the ceiling surface. The resulting coating will be smooth and monotonous, and the time spent on the work will not compare with the time spent on painting with a roller or brush.